Meringue Kisses

IMG_3688 (2)
I’m doing a fun project for Easter and wanted to make little tiny meringues as part of it. But, every recipe I found had cream of tartar. Who keeps cream of tartar on hand? Ok well maybe lots of people do, but I don’t. I have 5 different kinds of flour in the pantry, but cream of tartar? no. So I kept looking and looking.
Until…. Huzzah! I found these meringue kisses. They were really easy and came out perfect. The only ingredients are sugar and egg whites. The main step is the use of a double boiler to melt the sugar down. This was easily done by putting my mixer bowl over the pot of water and employing the candy thermometer. It reminded me a bit of making marshmallows.
IMG_3667
I only strayed from the recipe in that I added a touch of vanilla during the mixing stage. Like people, it is nice for them to have a hint of personality inside so they are not just a pretty face. Any essence would be good, mint or almond might be nice or a little lemon.

  After some experimentation with icing tips, I found that the open stars worked best. My favorites were Wilton 21 and Wilton 32. The closed stars didn’t have any definition and the details were lost. The straight circles were a bit boring.

Follow the baking instructions. Bake an hour then leave in the closed oven for an hour. Mine turned out very dry and solid. Which is just what I was looking for to use in my project.

This recipe gets a thumbs up and I will definitely use it again. Especially for my special Easter project which we will see more of closer to Easter. Thanks for visiting!

Comments

Popular Posts