An Update

I apologize for not being around lately. Life has been a bit uninspiring and sad lately. Hopefully with the coming new year and the days getting longer things will improve.

We’ve lost Doris to a horrible backyard attack by an unknown animal. The signs don’t point to a dog, but something else. Perhaps a raccoon, but we are still unsure. She was a huge chicken. At least 12lbs. and a streetwise bully. She usually scared off animals that came in the yard. I saw her stand up to a wild Tom turkey once and he ran the other way and no turkey has come in the yard since. The remaining girls and myself are terrified that whatever took her down will return.

Aphrodite also left us. She has had a mysterious issues since an incident with Betty in June where she got too close to the babies and was pecked in the head. She had seemed to mostly recover and then in October lost function in one of her legs. After living life for several weeks as a happy hoppy one legged chicken, she lost function in the other leg. We then made the hard decision to not let her suffer in that manner.

The three remaining girls are adjusting. They spend most of the day now in the house by choice. They’ll come out in the run if I bring them a treat. I think we all just need a little time.

I hope you all have a happy holiday be it Solstice, Hanukkah, Christmas, Quanza, or Festivus.  May the new year bring you all health and happiness. I will return after the first of the year, I am determined.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry about your loss and sadness. Rest assured your hens were happy, loved and well cared for.
    I hope you and your husband have a happy holiday and look forward to hearing from you in the new year.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine. I know how wonderful and well cared for your flock is. I too am looking forward to 2013-new beginnings for so many of us. Have a wonderful holiday.~Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts