Hot Chickens

It’s been really hot and sticky this week. I know that it’s hotter on the mainland, but really the humidity needs to cool it a bit. My husband came home yesterday to Betty sitting inside the coop on the perch panting heavily. Now they have outside perches where there may be a semblance of a breeze. But, no let’s sit inside were it’s the hottest. 

He gave them a misting from the hose, fresh cold water, hosed down the patio so they could splash around and cool their feet off,  and let then let them out of the coop. He said they were drinking the water like it was going out of style and really seemed to enjoy pecking around on the wet patio. I didn’t realize they were getting that hot during the day. Last summer I froze liter bottles of water and stuck them in shady corners in the coop so they could have cool spots, but I didn’t think we had gotten that hot yet. I guess we have. They got them today and were doing much better this afternoon.

Betty is the only black chicken and she is huge. There is a lot of mass there and the black feathers absorb the heat more. I can see why she was in distress and I feel bad that I didn’t think of it before it happened. Tonight we had thunderstorms and it seams to be breaking the heat a bit. Hopefully it will be more comfortable tomorrow.

 

P1000621 (2)

In other news, the last unnamed chicken has acquired a name. She is the youngest and a Speckled Sussex. Going with the Greek Goddess theme, please meet Gaia.

Comments

  1. yea we have been misting the chickens and giving ice bottles too! it;s been over 100 several days straight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super hot of late, over here in Osterville! My goodness the poor girls are panting and it is only supposed to get hotter! Stay cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've even started putting icebottles in the coop at night. Hope it breaks soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts