Chicken Chat

Well I broke down and got Betty some eggs and wouldn’t you know it, the day they came she decided she didn’t want to be broody anymore. I came home from the post office and she was out and about with the other girls. I didn’t want to waste them, we were now committed, so I put them in the nest anyway to see what would happen. Well it took a day or two for her to get serious and settle on them, but she is now stuck to them like glue and shrieking like a pterodactyl again. She is the proud protector of nine lavender orpington eggs. I really hope at least one girl comes out of this. Because the parents were so pretty. We will see what happens in a couple of weeks. 

Sunday Morning Stinkeye

P1000942

The goddesses should start laying soon. They are going on 18 weeks now. This means I had to take out and install the extra nest box. I took the separator out of the nest box in the house because last time Betty’s chick kept ending up on the other side and couldn’t figure out how to get around. I left it as one big nest box and we built another one in the run while Betty was in the house. We took it out for more run space when they left the nest box in the house and others could use it again. But, I told Husband to hang on to it just in case. Well it seems the time has come to put it back. Betty does not take well to nest box neighbors. I tried to give them a washtub to lay in but Doris didn’t like it and has started laying in the run. The extra nest box is not pretty, but it works. It tucks right under the ramp and doesn’t take too much space.

p1000956 (2) 

We added the panel in the front as an afterthought. They didn’t want to lay in there without some privacy. Hopefully Doris will take to it again and will teach the goddesses that is the place to lay. It’s funny how the dynamic of the whole flock changes when one hen is out. Doris is getting along with the goddesses and she’s the substitute head hen until Betty returns to her post. Betty does like to remind them who is really in charge when she comes off the nest for a break though.

Comments

  1. Yay! So glad to hear she took to the eggs. I can't wait to see how she does. Don't worry if she leaves the nest for an hour or so, the babies will be just fine. That used to freak me out! Turns out, they actually know what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I just spent the last hour or so lost in your blog...it's wonderful! I really want to raise a couple of layers here where I live, but I'm not sure that would be possible. If you get the chance, please visit my blog at http://lifeinanarv.blogspot.com I love seeing how other people live in other parts of the country. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait either Tilly's Nest. Betty's an old pro now after her first chick. I'm not worried. If they don't hatch it was some other issue.

    Witchywoman thank you for your kind words. Maybe you could have like a mini teardrop chicken trailer for the road and the back could open and fold out into a portable run when you stop. Like and eglu type run. I can see it all now in campgrounds across america :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts