Broody Betty

Betty has gone broody and it happened incredibly quickly. She did start shrieking like a pterodactyl last week at the girls. But, I wasn’t sure until she sat on the nest overnight a few days ago and has since. Dorris is my one and only nest sleeper but, Betty is always a roost sleeper. She has stuck to the nest box like glue. This would be fine if she just hadn’t gotten over being broody and bringing up a chick. A chick that drove me nuts! She’s a very good mother, I am torn between getting her more eggs and trying to break her. I am also afraid that if I don’t break her broodiness that it will run rampant through my little flock and everyone will be broody in no time. What to do. What to do.

P1000369 Last time.

Comments

  1. Broodiness isn't contagious. Some go broody and some don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happened to come along your blog! It's so cute :) We have 7 eggs that just hatched, after we let Momma Rosie sit on them for the good 21 days. If you want more go for it and best of luck!

    The Chicken Keepers
    thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

    p.s. going to become a follower and add you on our blog roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not alone. Dolly is yes, once again broody and this is about her 5th time this year. I let her sit on nothing, I force her off the nest a few times a day to eat and drink. It just seems to run its course. I guess some girls are just programmed that way. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting everyone! Jenny, I know broodiness isn't actually contagious it just seams that way with my girls. One goes and then the other thinks it looks like a good idea. Tilly's Nest, isn't Dolly a silkie? Silkies are notoriously good mothers and always broody by reputation. Chicken Keepers, I will probably give in and get her eggs. I'm a big softy for chicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it's not really "contagious." But, it seems like once one goes broody 2 or 3.. or more go broody! I read up on it and most people agree that it is "contagious." Rosie just hatched 7 chicks and now we have another one that is broody!

    The Chicken Keepers
    thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts